2. Ok, I bit
the bullet and I'm going to be a bridesmaid. What am I expected
A bridesmaid has many functions, but first and foremost you
are there to make the bride happy and give her support throughout
the engagement, the wedding planning, and the wedding itself.
Many a bride becomes a teensy-weensy bit self-absorbed once
the ring slides onto her finger. Brides tend to forget that
while they're 100% immersed in planning a wedding, the rest
of the world is not. Try to be enthusiastic and inquisitive
and understand. Remember that this is an exciting time in
her life and that cards and email are simple, great ways to
show you care without having to engage in a 45 minute conversation
about seating charts or mini-quiches.
responsibilities as a bridesmaid will include:
- Helping the maid-of-honor plan and throw the bridal shower.
(great shower and bachlorette
- Attending all wedding-related events such as engagement
parties, showers, luncheons, bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinners, next-day brunch,
and, oh yeah...the wedding.
- Buying engagement, shower, and wedding gifts. (gift
- Buying a bridesmaid dress and matching shoes (at your own
- Arranging travel plans to and from all events, including
car rental, hotel reservations, and taxis (at your own expense).
- Attending a bridesmaid lunch the day before the wedding.
- Attending the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner the night
before the wedding.
- Arriving at the wedding site early.
- Attending and participating in the wedding. (See question
#7 for more details about your duties on the big day.)
- Doing items 1 - 9 without any complaining and with a big
ol' smile on your face at all times! Click here for some
special big day reminders
that will make you the shining star of the bridal party!